The Department of Biotechnology was established in the year 2003 with an intake of 30 students with an ambition to create skilled personnel required for the future biotechnology industries. The department has flourished with its quality of excellence and was accredited by NBA in 2009 and reaccredited in 2017. At present, the department has an annual intake of 60 Undergraduate admissions and 9 Postgraduate admissions. Biotechnology is an emerging field and the future is in demand of skilled biotechnologists. The laboratories of our department are well equipped. State of the art infrastructure facilities in our department, dedicated & competent staff, and highly conducive environment for teaching-learning process are the hallmarks of our department. The department has obtained institutional membership in the Biotech Research Society of India (up to 2025). We believes in inculcating the right attitude in the minds of young students and develop them as individuals who have the innate desire not just to succeed in their own lives but also to contribute meaningfully to societal development in all possible spheres.
» The department has a vision to impart quality education in the field of biotechnology on par with international standards
» To impart futuristic technical education and instill high patterns of discipline through our dedicated staff, who shall set global standards, making our students technologically superior and ethically strong, who in turn shall improve the quality of life of the human race.
» To provide proper planning and resource management as to improve the quality and accessibility of technical education
» To develop the intellectual strength of students and guiding them towards technical advancements
» To provide ethical and value based education in the field of biotechnology
» To provide graduates with professionalism and lifelong learning to suit the needs of the society
- Graduates are professionally competent in Biotechnology to solve problems in environmental, food, biochemical and biomedical engineering and technology.
- Graduates have expertise to comprehend, analyze, design and create innovative products and solutions.
- Graduates demonstrate proficiency in theory and practice of biotechniques through life-long learning.
- Graduates perform as an individual and / or members of a team with professional and ethical behaviour.
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
- Graduates will have a strong research-based knowledge to design experiments, analyze and interpret data for scientific inquiry and life-long learning.
- Graduates will demonstrate their ability to design, conduct and apply modern tools in chemical and biological systems.
The Department is functioning with well equipped and state-of-art laboratories for the following disciplines; Cell Biology, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Bioorganic chemistry, Instrumental Method of Analysis, Bioprocessing & Downstream Processing, Chemical Engineering, Immunology, Genetic Engineering and Molecular Biology.
|S.No||Lab No||Name of the Lab||Total Value (Rs)|
|1||402||» Cell Biology Lab
» Microbiology Lab
» Bioprocess Lab
» Downstream processing Lab
|2||403||» Molecular Biology Lab
» Genetic Engineering Lab
» Immunology Lab
|3||404||» Biochemistry Lab
» Bioorganic chemistry Lab
» Instrumental Methods of Analysis Lab
|4||405||Project Research Lab||26,30,376|
|5||WS-7||Chemical Engineering Lab||4,87,200|
MICROSCOPIC OBSERVATION ROOM
CELL & MICROBIOLOGY LABORATORY
GENETIC ENGG & IMMUNOLOGY LABORATORY
MICRO ALGAL LABORATORY
INSTRUMENTATION FACILITY - 1
INSTRUMENTATION FACILITY - 2
FLUID MECHANICS LABORATORY
Technical Forums & Accreditation
BIOTECH RESEARCH SOCIETY OF INDIA
NATIONAL BOARD OF ACCREDITATION
ANNA UNIVERSITY RANK HOLDERS
Ms C Keerthana (2013-2017) secured the 26th Rank in Anna University exams with a CGPA of 8.8. She is currently pursuing her Ph.D in IIT Madras.
Ms.V.SANDHIYA (2014-2018) secured the 25th Rank in Anna University exams with a CGPA of 8.82. She is currently pursuing her Ph.D in ICMR NIRT.
Ms. S.SUPRAJA MONICA (2015-2019) secured the 3rd Rank in Anna University exams with a CGPA of 9.17. She is currently preparing to crack Technical Competitive Exams.
Ms.P.MYMOON ZAREEN (2015-2019) secured the 4th Rank in Anna University exams with a CGPA of 9.16. She is currently Preparing to crack Competitive Exams.
Ms.M.YASASVE (2015-2019) secured the 14th Rank in Anna University exams with a CGPA of 8.92. He is currently Pursuing Masters in Biotechnology.
Ms.M.OVIA (2015-2019) secured the 16th Rank in Anna University exams with a CGPA of 8.9. She is currently Pursuing Masters in Biotechnology at CBT Anna University Chennai through JNU.
Ms.G.TEJASWINI (2016-2020) secured the 14th Rank in Anna University exams with a CGPA of 8.99. She is currently preparing for Competitive Exams to do her Master’s.
Dr. Kalam Young Achiever Award
One of our student, Mr. B. Fasiludeen from Final Year Biotechnology received an
award entitled “Dr. Kalam Young Achiever Award 2016” by the World Youth Federation,
Anna University, Chennai on October 15, 2016. He did his presentation on “Shared Vision through Neurotransmission” under the guidance of Dr. Ansel Vishal. L.
Mr. B. Fasiludeen with “Dr. Kalam Young Achiever Award”
Water Purifier using Waste Materials – An Innovative Product from Biotechnology
Karthik. U & Mohammed Jasim of II nd year Biotechnology has secured the first prize in “Innovative Model Presentation” for the removal of textile dyes during the conference held at Sastra University, Tanjavur on October 15, 2016. They were awarded a cash prize of Rs. 12000/-
Karthik. U and Mohammed Jasim with their Model made from Waste Materials
Several Value-added Training Courses were conducted to students for each and every year. Students were trained latest cutting-edge technologies in the field of Biotechnology
The List of courses are as follows:
- Basics of Medical Coding & First Aid Free Awareness
- Basic Analytical Techniques in Biotechnology by Eppendorf
- Advanced PCR Training by Eppendorf
- AKTA FPLC Training by GE Healthcare
- Clinical Research and Pharmacovigilance
- Clinical SAS Training
- Training in Bio-Nanotechnology
- Animal Tissue Culture Techniques
- Hands on Training on Fluorescent Staining, Acid-Fast Staining, Grading Techniques
- Sequence Analysis and Molecular Simulation
- Bioactive molecules from medicinal plants
- Fermentative Production of Enzymes and Their Applications
- Molecular Modeling and Drug Designing
- Microbial Fermentation & Downstream Processing
- Workshop on basic molecular biology and genetic engineering techniques &
The Department of Biotechnology, SSIET organized the departmental activity for the second and third year students during the Campus Residential Programme – June 2017. In this context, the experts from Omega Healthcare, Chennai and Abbes Biotech were called on to provide training on “Basics of Medical Coding” & “Animal Tissue Culture” respectively.
Students of II & III Year Biotechnology were trained in Basics of Medical Coding by the Expert from Omega Healthcare
Students of III Year Biotechnology were trained in Basics of Animal Tissue Culture by the Expert from Abbes Biotech
Hands on Training of Sophisticated Instruments was given to our Faculties by experts from Eppendorf in their premises on September 2018
The Department of Biotechnology in association with GE Healthcare organized a hands on Training on ÄKTA START PROTEIN PURIFICATION on 12.2.2019. Students learned about the operation, handling of system, usage of control software (UNICORN start 1.0 control software) design and unknown sample interpretation
Our students being trained by the Experts from GE Healthcare regarding the operation and mechanism AKTA – FPLC
Our final year students during the Industrial visit to OfERR (12.09.2017)
Final Year Biotechnology Students went on Industrial Visit To CMFRI-Ernakulum On March-2018
Final Year students during the Industrial Visit at OfERR on 13.8.2018
Final year Biotechnology students during Industrial Visit at Caplin Point Laboratories, Gummudipoondi on 09.02.2019
Students were trained in operations of fermenter and production of industrially important enzymes
The Industrial Visit at Synkromax Biotech Pvt Ltd, Tirutani Taluk on 15.2.2019
Dr.R.Padmavathy and Dr.L.Ansel Vishal along with the final year students (2015-2019) during the Industrial Visit to Coffee Plantation and Cultivation on 1.3.2019
II & III year students visit at Shrimpex Biotech Services on 14.8.2019
36 final year students visited the Hindustan Coca Cola Beverages Pvt Ltd at Bidadi, Bengaluru along with 2 staffs on 19.9.2019 (Dr.L.Ansel Vishal & Ms.V.P.Kaavyasree)
One day Industrial visit to International Institute of Biotechnology and Toxicology, Padappai on 24.1.2020
Our 61 students visited the HATSUN Dairy Industry with 2 staff coordinators Ms.V.P.Kaavyasree & Mrs.U.Vidhyadevi on 13.2.2020
Faculty Development Programme On “Anatomy and Human Physiology” organized by the Department of Biotechnology, SSIET
The Department of Biotechnology organized a three day Faculty Development Programme on “Anatomy and Human Physiology” between 20 th and 22 nd June 2016. Dr. K. Durai Pandian M.D from Karpaga Vinayaga Institute of Medical Sciences was invited as the Resource person.
The programme started with the Basics and short introduction on Anatomy & Human Physiology and was followed by Skeletal System of the Human Body. The various anatomical and physiological characteristics of the Skeletal System and Respiratory System were explained in depth with pictures through power point presentation.
Finally, the resource person conducted an Oral Assessment of the topics covered with the faculty participants. He expressed his gratitude to the Management, Principal and to others for inviting him and for the successful conduction of FDP.
Dr. K. Durai Pandian during the FDP Programme
Dr. K. Durai Pandian with the faculty members of Biotechnology Dept, SSIET
Biotechnology Student Orientation Programme
The Department of Biotechnology conducted a Student Orientation Programme on 16.07.2016 at P.G Seminar Hall in which the Vision, Mission, Program Educational Objectives, Program and Program Specific Outcomes were disseminated to the students. This has familiarized them with the quality policies of the department and facilitated them to improve their performance in academic/co-curricular activities.
Orientation Programme of the Department of Biotechnology in 2016
Dr. Mathan Periasamy, Head, during the Orientation programme
CAREER GUIDANCE PROGRAM
Career Guidance Program by Mr. Thirukumaran
The Department of Biotechnology conducted a career guidance program for the students of Biotechnology on 09.09.2016. Mr. Thirukumaran from Ericsson India Global Services Pvt Ltd., Chennai delivered his lecture on the topic “Skills Expected by Industries”.
A separate interaction session was organized for the final year students of biotechnology. The resource person explained in depth on the immediate needs for the students of biotechnology to enter into industries.
The Career Guidance Program for Final Year Students was delivered by experts from “GE HEALTHCARE” on 16 th July 2018 on “Opportunities for Biotechnologists in Industries”
Mr. Thirukumaran, Ericsson India Global Services Pvt Ltd interacting with students
Trainer from GE Healthcare explaining about the career opportunities
The Career Guidance Program for Biotechnology Students was delivered by Professor Pamela Vou Hurst from Massey University on 28th August 2018 on “Opportunities for Biotechnologists in New Zealand”.
Session about the Higher studies/Career opportunities for Biotechnologists in New Zealand
Our department library has a curate collection of books in the different domains of Biotechnology such as Biochemistry, Microbiology, Genetic Engineering, Immunology, Molecular Biology, Instrumental Methods of Analysis, Bioinformatics, and Basics of Chemical Engineering. The Department library has a total of 148 titles and a total of 247 volumes of books.
INTERNSHIP & INDUSTRIAL TRAINING
According to AICTE internship policy, it is mandatory for all the Engineering Graduates and minimum of 600-700 hours should be spent by each graduate during their 4 years degree.
|No of Internships||84||145||97||95||86|
Our Major Internship Partners are
More than 90% of eligible students are placed in core and its allied companies
|No of Internships||25||40||34||56||40|
Our Recruiting Partners are
Programmer Analyst, ZIFO RnD Solutions
Day at Sastha are the most memorable in my life. There are very supportive faculties. The lab sessions would be the most joyful time because education with practical are always fun to learn. Still those memories runs like a visual in my mind. Feeling very happy that I had been a part of Sastha.
V. Saranya Rangan
Associate Scientist R&D, Cellworks Research India Pvt Ltd
Sastha served as a spring board to launch me to where I am today. It oversaw my transition from a teen to a woman to take on the world. The faculties were very caring and emphasized knowledge over grades. Not sure learning would have been so joyous elsewhere.
Technical Officer, Food Safety & Standard Authority of India, Govt of India,
Sastha is a place where you can learn the value of discipline, confidence, leadership, perseverance apart from gaining the technical knowledge. The faculty in Sastha is very supportive and motivates us in all aspects. Days at Sastha were great and a memory to cherish for lifetime. Be confident and work hard to achieve your goal.
Technical Documentation Operations Specialist, ICON Clinical Research India (P) Ltd, Chennai
One of the best things from SASTHA is providing special departmental course which leads to a different career path. This made me to enter into Clinical Research
Field from Biotech background.