About the department
Electronics and Communication Engineering (ECE) is one of the largest and fastest growing fields of engineering. It covers vast areas in the field of engineering. It is a swiftly advancing field, with new ideas emerging every second. From mobile phones to fiber optics and remote sensing, there are exciting avenues to explore and create. The present day global technology revolution is changing the world and is offering challenging opportunities to specifically Engineers. Electronics and Communication Engineering has a vital position in this technological revolution.
The Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering was established since inception of the college in the year 1999 with a sanctioned intake of 40 for offering 4-year B.E. Course and the first batch of students graduated successfully from here in 2003. The AICTE, New Delhi approved an increased intake of 60 in the academic year 2000, to 90 in 2002 and later to 120 in the academic year 2004. Today, the department is rated as one of the leading departments among various colleges of the university. The laboratories consist of all the latest equipments to meet the dynamic changes in the curriculum. Apart from the regular labs, the department is setting up labs in image processing, RF system design, etc. The passed out students are working in various reputed industries.
In pursuit of excellence, the department has been sanctioned with 2 PG courses namely ME. VLSI Design, M.E. Communication Systems. M.E. VLSI Design has been initiated during the year 2005 and another M.E. Degree course in Communication Systems has also been initiated during the year 2007, each with a sanctioned intake of 18.
The department has been granted NBA accreditation twice for three years in 2004 as well as in 2009 and applied in 2015 for 2 years. This department has been granted permanent affiliation by the Anna University, Chennai.
UG – B.E – Electronics and Communication Engineering – 4 Years
PG : M.E – Communication Systems – 2 years
PG : M.E – VLSI Design – 2 years
To become a nationally and internationally renowned leading institution of higher learning and research built upon the culture and values of contemporary technical education and to foster a zeal for generating the knowledge and the technologies that is essential in shaping the future in the field of Electronics and Communication Engineering.
To emerge as a centre of excellence in
» Dissemination of knowledge that is essential to meet the local and global demands in Electronics and Communication Engineering.
» Imparting quality education to enable the students to compete internationally.
» Preparing the students to produce creative and innovative solutions to suit the needs of society.
» Providing consciousness of universal moral values and adhering to the professional ethical codes.
Program Educational Objectives
- To impart knowledge to students on basic science, mathematics and computer science that would help them to understand the design and developmental concepts of Electronics and Communication Engineering.
- To develop the communicative skills and comprehensive abilities in students and provide them with soft skill trainings that will facilitate them to acquire good job opportunities in the industries or for their higher studies.
- To provide practical skills by hands-on experience to the students to apply the knowledge gained on various scientific and technical courses in order to carry out curriculum based laboratory experiments and team projects.
- To provide an in-depth knowledge and demonstrations related to the core area of Electronics and Communication Engineering, starting from the basics to the level of analysis, synthesis and design of circuits and systems, in addition to the exposure on latest advancements in the field.
- To foster the students with a broader knowledge on the usage of computers, management and ethical & moral principles, environmental issues and other engineering disciplines.
- To create an interest for self learning, updating recent developments in the major area of study by way of in-plant training and industrial visit and motivating students to present articles in national / international for dissemination of knowledge.
- An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering.
- An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data.
- An ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability and sustainability.
- An ability to function on multidisciplinary teams.
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems.
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility.
- An ability to communicate effectively.
- The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economical, environmental, and societal context.
- Recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning.
- Knowledge of contemporary issues.
- An ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.
- An ability to design, analyze, construct and synthesize circuits related to Electronics and Communication Engineering (PSPO).
The following programs are conducted to enrich the technical knowledge of the students apart from their regular course of study.
- C++, Networking
- Real Time Embedded Systems
- Sensors and Transducers
- Advanced Digital signal Processing
- Programming in Matlab
- Personality Development Programs
- HR, Aptitude test, Group Discussion and Seminars
- Design of Low Power VLSI Circuits
- DCS & PLC Overview
Teaching Learning Process
A continuous improvement approach of teaching and learning engages the learners with key processes, modes of discussions and narratives of subjects so that they understand what constitutes quality and standards in particular domains. Several measures are adopted to acknowledge the importance of academic attainment. The major areas which enabled the improvement of quality teaching and learning involves adherence to academic calendar, pedagogical content knowledge, collaborative learning, quality of laboratory experience.
Bright students are encouraged with Rs.5000/- cash award and a certificate of merit, if he/she maintains 90% attendance and secures high marks in the university exams. Also, 10% of the student toppers, from each year, based on the University exam marks are awarded every academic year.
If a student receives the award continuously from first year to final year, a special cash award of Rs.10, 000/- and a certificate of merit is given at the end of the course. Anna University rank holders are awarded with a cash prize of Rs.1000/- each.
All the students are constantly motivated by the faculty members.
Activities are provided to structure the intellectual, social and emotional support to help the slow learners to move forward in their learning by conducting coaching classes after working hours. This is conducted in two groups one having below 3 arrears and above 3 arrears and an individual faculty member is assigned to take care of the students. Counseling sessions are held to identify their difficulties and to help them build their confidence. Retest and home test are given to improve the performance. The slow learners are identified based on their performance in the university examinations and they are given special attention by allotting them in separate classes. The students are then provided with adequate coaching to overcome difficulties and perform better in exams.
Active learners are encouraged by conducting extra technical development course through Microelectronics club by the industrial experts, providing awareness and leading them to participate in internship programs, inviting project proposal, involving in paper presentation and also providing them role of coordinator , organizer, committee heads and volunteers in national level technical symposium , workshops and hands-on training. The bright students are given special industry based training during vacations and beyond working hours by the industry experts. With the help of the faculty members, the bright students are motivated to solve aptitude questions and are also encouraged to take part in group discussion activities beyond working hours. College provides funds for the selected teams to do innovative projects. These are the steps taken by the department in improving the quality of teaching & learning experience of students.
Mentoring System in the Department
Mentoring System: A new process has been established as ‘Mentoring System’. Each faculty will be the mentor of a group of 20 students. Department faculties will continue to be mentors for the same group of students till their graduation.
Responsibilities: The mentor will perform the following functions. The list of course cannot be exclusive. A mentor can always do more for the benefit of the students.
- Meet the group of students weekly once.
- Continuously monitor, counsel, guide and motivate the students in all academic matters.
- Advise students regarding choice of electives, project, summer training etc.
- Contact parents/guardians if situation demands e.g. academic irregularities, negative behavioral changes and interpersonal relations, detrimental activities etc.
- Advise students in their career development/professional guidance.
- Keep contact with the students even after their graduation.
- Intimate HOD and suggest if any administrative action is called for.
- Maintain a detailed progressive record of the student (format attached).
- Maintain a brief but clear record of all discussions with students.
The college is emphasising importance towards enhancing the institutional ambience to better serve the needs of an ever-changing and dynamic learning community. Effective mentoring begins with the faculty and depends on the healthy relationship between one faculty and students. The department assigns faculties (Mentors) for providing guidance for each year from admission till the graduation of the same batch. The faculty advisors perform the following functions:
- To maintain personal details of the students including their address, contact numbers, overall academic performance and progress. It will help the mentor in monitoring the academic growth of the students. It will also help the college in tracer studies of the alumni.
- To advise the students regarding choice of electives, projects, summer training, etc.
- To counsel and motivate the students in all academic matters-direct or indirect.
- To guide the students in taking up extra academic and professional activities for value addition as a member of the society.
- To contact the parents / guardians of the students in case of their academic irregularities, behavioural changes, etc, through the Head of the Department or College.
- To inform the Principal / Director of the College in matters of leave or absence, official recommendation etc.
- To advise the students in matters of their career.
National Level Technical Symposium Electruze inaugurated by Guest of Honour Mrs.J.Jayanthi Jeevanantham
ISTE FACULTY AND STUDENT CHAPTER
Cheque for student membership fee was handed over to Dr.K.Manivannan Vice President,ISTE,New Delhi
Memorandum of Understanding
MOU signed with CDCE Automation
Basic Electronics Laboratory
Communication Systems Laboratory
Microprocessor and Microcontrollers
ME CSE Lab
Microwave and Optical
Linear integrated Circuits
DST – FIST Sponsored department
|Phase||Description||Training Modules||Course Duration|
|I||NI LabVIEW Graphical System Design Software – 30 users – latest version – (perpetual in nature)||1.NI Labview Graphical Programming||40 Hours|
|myDAQ – Data Acquisition hardware for measurements and sensor interface||1.Electronic Circuit Simulation
|myRIO – FPGA based System Design hardware||1.NI real Time and FPGA Implementation
2.VLSI System Design
3.VLSI System Verilog
|SDR hardware for Digital Communications System Design||1.RF Generation
|PXI based Automated measurement and test hardware platform||1.RF Wireless Test
|II||Cadence Software HP Computers||1.L Edit
3. Spice,W Edit,LVS
|Wireless IoT||1.Introduction to IoT
2.IoT communication protocols
3.RF and Antenna
4.Radio and Networking Standards
|III||ALTERA Cyclone Development Board||1.Industrial Networking
|3 D Printer||1. Introductory lecture on 3D printer and Rapid Prototyping
2. CAD files
3. Introduction to G Code
4. Demonstration of 3D Printer assembly
5. Testing and calibration of 3D Printer
6. Demonstration of 3D Printing
Research & Development
Student Proposals Submitted to TNSCST:
- Home Security System Using Laser Torch
- CCTV Camera Breakdown Detection using Alarm and SMS Alert
- Electronic Based Stress Relaxer
- PIR Sensor Based Security System
- Implementation of a Compact and Portable Solar Charger for Multiple Devices
- Wind Energy Based Compact Mobile Charger
Faculty Proposals submitted
- Application for the grant of Partial Financial Assistance for Conference – Submitted to TNSCST
- Application for GIA support for Conference – Submitted to DEITY
- Application for Research Department Recognition – Submitted to Anna University
- Proposals For Conducting Technology Based Entrepreneurship Development Programmes (TEDP)-NIMAT Project (Entrepreneurship Development Institute of India)
Applications to DRDO
- Design Of Wireless Sensor Node for Tsunami Detection Using VLSI.
- Automated Medicine Dispensing Machine for War Fields.
- Laser Based Security System for Military Camp.
- Advanced Earthquake Landslide Detection Using Sensor and MEMS for Defense.
- High Resolution Autonomous Underwater Vehicle for Detecting Missed Flight And Geophysical Survey.
- Secure and Energy Efficient Routing for Target Detection and Tracking in Military Applications Using Wireless Sensor Networks.
- Super Resolution Images by Automatic Registration and Fusion for Airborne Surveillance
- Intelligent SPY-BOT.
|Number of Titles||Number of Volumes||Number of Project Reports||CDs|
|1.||Dr. KRISHNA MOORTHY R||HOD/ECE|
|2.||Mr. MANIKANDAN S P||AP/BE|
|3.||Mrs. KANCHANA P||AP/BE|
|4.||Mr. PRABHU B||AP/BE|
|5.||Mr. SUREINDAR C||AP/BE|
|6.||Mr. DALIP JOE A||AP/BE|
|7.||Mr. PUSHPAVEL S||AP/BE|
|8.||Mr. ARUNKUMAR A AP/BE||AP/BE|
|9.||Mr. Emmanuel Jose JP||AP/BE|
|10.||Mr. Abish Prince P R||AP/BE|
|11.||Mr. VARADHARAJAN N||AP/BE|
|12.||Mr. Anandkumar K||AP/BE|
|13.||Ms. Gomathi Priya M||AP/BE|
|14.||Mr. AMARNATH A||AP/BE|
|15.||Mr. Silambarasan S||AP/BE|
|16.||Mrs. Revathi B||AP/BE|
|17.||Mrs. VIDHYA LAKSHMI A||AP/GE|
|18.||Mr. Venkataraman M||AP/BE|
|19.||Mr. VINOTHKUMAR J||AsP/VLSI|
|20.||Ms. BHARATHI D||AP/BE|
- Ms.S.Divya, I year ME Communication Systems is awarded The Best Innovator Award and A cash prize of Rs.15,000/- in Project Expo
- Ms.J.Sharmila, I year ME Communication Systems has won the second prize in National level Student Project Competition
- Final year ECE students, J.Yokesh, Sowmiya Sree.S and Ashishkumar Singh won the second prize in Paper Presentation and Project display in National Level Conference
Internships, Inplant Trainings,
Infosys, CTC: 3.6L
I can positively ay Sree Sastha has made me a better person. It has helped me develop a positive attitude towards my studies. Teachers are very caring and interested in students well-being. They make sure every class is fun, educational and interactive.
Extramarks Education India Pvt Ltd, CTC: 8LPA
My Education from Sastha has given me the confidence to master anything I want to accomplish in life. Faculties here knows how to bring out the best among the student, and I will proudly tell I am one among them.
“Sastha has been the most enthralling journey of my life. It has been an institute which has helped me nurture my skills as an engineer and grow in leaps and bounds. It has given me the support and confidence to grow both personally and Professionally. The faculty have been a great support with their tireless efforts in my upbringing as an engineer. They have supported me not only in academics but also in extra-
“Sastha is a place where you are surrounded by positive and healthy environment all the time. The College provides us with good facilities and very supportive faculties. This gives me a fabulous learning environment. It also encourages me and gave me
various opportunities to participate in extracurricular activities. The college actually helps me to maintain a perfect a balance between studies and made my
dream to come true”